Bed Rest for Slip Disc: Does Science Support this?
There is no scientific reason with proclaimed scientific people (modern day doctors) to ask for complete bed rest for slip disc. Reason is very simple and non-scientific- it hurts when body moves. So ask the patient for complete bed rest and give him pain killers! This is the lamest reason, why we are asked to go for bed rest for slip disc.
DOES IT WORK WHEN WE GO FOR BED REST?
There are no evidences that going for bed rest works for someone. There won’t be any relief due to the bed rest. So if you think that after a bed rest for few days, you will revive and your problem will go away, forget. It won’t set your prolapsed disc at all. Your doctor just wish to give you some sort of comfort, nothing else.
HOW BAD IS BED REST?
Bed rest for slip dischas a lot of bad things associated with it-
- When you stay in bed for longer periods, it will invite stiffness in your muscles. Which is a basic cause of slipped discotherwise. So you are aggravating the disease, not finding the cure of the back pain. This will make harder for you to bend and do any physical activities
- Your body becomes lazy, bed rest for slip disc brings bad digestion with it and makes the things worst than ever before. Your body doesn’t get proper nourishment and become weaker day by day.
- By lying in bed your spine distorts regularly.
- You muscles will be weaker due to no use of the muscles and will worsen the problem day by day.
- Your body will become more and more helpless day by day.
The only good thig about the bed rest for slip disc is, once you are in bed and not moving- you wont have pain associated with the movements!
It is better to be treated for 15-21 days then to be in bed for same period. We at Sukhayu Ayurveda can give you proper cure of the condition with in a span of 15- 21 days. You need to stay with us at our facilities.
If you want to have a permanent solution for your slip disc, please share your MRI with us through contact us page and we will update you about all possible treatment with us. But don’t manage pain by doing just bed rest for slip disc.